Cummins has established a technical college exclusively for women.
At a time when most students gaining and pursuing higher technical education were still men, 'Maharshi Karve Stree Shikshan Samstha' (MKSSS) took a step towards women education and empowerment with the Cummins College of Engineering. Established in 1991 in Pune, the college was set-up exclusively for women.
The idea behind setting-up this college was to provide quality technical education at a reasonable fee so that girls, even from humble backgrounds, could fulfil their dream of becoming engineers.
Approach and effort
At Cummins, we believe education is a necessary tool and a foundation to uplift the weaker sections of society. By providing financial assistance to the Cummins College of Engineering for Women (CCEW), Cummins endorsed the mission of MKSSS - 'Women empowerment through education' .
Not limiting itself to financial assistance alone, Cummins has contributed to the development of the college in academic ways as well. Cummins offers this assistance to both the units of CCEW in Pune and Nagpur.
The project requires committed participation from employees who are engaged in:
- Establishing the Mechanical Engineering Department
- Cummins Fellowship Program at Purdue University
- Sponsorship for the national level inter- collegiate technical event
- Projects and internship for students
- Guest lectures, workshops and training programs
In less than two decades, this association has bloomed magnificently. Besides allocating more funds, Cummins India Foundation has declared the Cummins College as its Signature project and is working hard at ensuring that the college acquires a listing amongst the top colleges in India.
CIF aims at 'enhancing the quality of education such that the college is amongst the top 5% of privately managed engineering institutes'. The plan for this is outlined:
Phase 1- Focus on undergraduate program (2011-2017)
Phase 2- Focus on graduate program (2018-2025)
Our association ensured:
- Assistance in setting up the engineering college for women in Pune
- Second unit of the engineering college for women in Nagpur
- Establishment of Mechanical Engineering Dept. in CCEW, Pune
- Assistance to 45 students to pursue MS at Purdue University in the United States
- Internships at Cummins Inc. or Cummins India to students of this college
Other than that, Cummins also took it upon itself to enhance faculty and student development.
For this, Cummins
- Sponsored faculty for PhD and paper presentation
- Provided training
- Provided faculty Exchange
- Provided opportunities to work with industry on research projects
- Provided external faculty as Mentors
Towards student development, Cummins
- Provided Leadership Program
- Provided industrial exposure to students
- Provided Students Exchange Program
- Increased the placements of students