Bus and Coach
The world’s leading engine platforms for city bus applications, ranging from compact midi-buses all the way up to 3-axle double-deckers and articulated buses.See how we partner with bus manufacturers
No other engines power more buses, in more cities, and in more countries worldwide than Cummins and that’s because no other engine range can offer such high levels of performance and in-service reliability whilst operating under the most challenging duty cycles. The ability to keep delivering under long service hours, very high annual mileages and difficult route terrain comes as standard with every Cummins engine. Innovations such as the Stop/Start system and hybrid configurations have set Cummins technology apart from others.
Cummins Euro VI Phase-D power for coach applications spans one of the broadest in the industry, extending from a mini-coach to full size 3-axle touring coach. Specific coach engine ratings release the full potential of the Cummins 2.8-litre to 12-litre engines for shuttle services, day touring, intercity and commuter routes, as well as premium long distance touring.
For applications in Europe and Turkey our engines are certified to the very low emission requirements of the 2019 Euro VI Phase-D standard, introducing nearer-to-zero diesel and natural gas power.
- The F2.8 engine bring a new dimension in compact power for Euro VI light vehicles by providing exceptional levels of on-road performance with improved vehicle sociability and features premium technology derived from the larger Cummins B Series
- For buses and coaches, the B4.5 is an ideal power source, bringing the operational cost saving of a high efficiency 4-cylinder engine, while out on the road they provide refined performance with smooth acceleration and relaxed cruising speeds
- B6.7 as the leading mid-range engine for city buses has proved equally applicable to the growing market for midi-sized coaches, with less than 11 metre length and with up to 40 seats capacity.
- The L9 engine offers a highly productive power solution for high-deck 12-metre coaches focused on cost-effective versatility, but achieves this while delivering rapid acceleration and high cruising speeds.
- For premium, full size buses and coaches the X12 is newly introduced for Euro VI with an innovative weight-saving design and fuel-saving XPI extra high pressure injection system, combined with all the robust durability expected of a Cummins heavy-duty engine
Cummins L9N natural gas engine achieves close-to-zero emission levels for trucks and buses operating across Europe & Turkey. With the ability to run on either CNG or LNG, the 8.9-litre engine is a proven performer in Volvo and Renault trucks, and available from bus builders including Anadolu Isuzu, Autosan, BMC, Otokar, Solaris and Temsa. The L9N is fully compatible with operating on Biogas, also known as Renewable Natural Gas (RNG), replacing fossil-based natural gas with a sustainable fuel option to achieve the goal of fleet decarbonization.
A new fleet of Solaris Urbino CNG buses in the Beskid Slaski District of Poland powered by the L9N Phase-D. While the Urbino CNG can be found operating in major European cities, including Paris and Warsaw, here the bus and its Cummins engine are equally at home connecting the small town with the surrounding countryside, helped by a range of up to 400 km without refueling.
With over 4,500 hybrid engine installations in buses operating across Europe, Cummins has played a key role in helping many bus manufacturers on the road to electrification and has achieved significant results in terms of fuel savings, reducing the carbon footprint and improving vehicle sociability. Cummins ‘H’ versions of the B4.5 and B6.7 are fully optimized to integrate with the hybrid driveline and provide a seamless Stop/Start function, installed in both single-deck and double-deck buses, as well as articulated tram-buses. The engines are compatible with all types of hybrid systems due to our unique capability to tailor engine systems to the needs of the application and closely collaborate with system suppliers including Siemens, BAE Systems, Eaton and Allison.
Wherever there is a Cummins-powered bus, there is a Cummins aftermarket team ready to provide expert parts, service, technical and training support. From providing proactive maintenance plans to training-up depot staff or working with operators to minimise fuel consumption, this is all part of Cummins’ commitment to support our customers.